Det er muligt at Robert Bales ikke var alene om massakrerne i Alkozai og Najeeban.
Alle har hørt om Robert Bales, sergenten der myrdede 17 mennesker, størstedelen børn. Øjensynligt skulle han være gået til fods til de to landsbyer, slæbende på den brændbare væske han hældte ud over de dræbte. Et tidspunkt skulle han have returneret til basen og forladt den igen. Et team skulle efter sigende være sendt ud for at lede efter ham. Det er aldrig blevet forklaret hvordan han har kunne vade ind og ud af den skarpt bevogtede base.
Det er den historie vi har fået fortalt af mainstream-medierne. De har historien fra Ritzau som har den direkte fra det amerikanske militær. Der tages udgangspunkt i at militæret siger sandheden, og at de overlevende tager fejl når de taler om flere soldater.
En kommission i det afghanske parlament har talt med de overlevende og undersøgt gerningsstederne. Deres foreløbige vurdering er at det ikke drejer sig om en enkelt soldat, men at der står 15-20 soldater bag, opdelt i to teams. Læs mere på Arbejderen, hvor jeg selv hørte fik nys om historien:
Afghanistans præsident Hamid Karzai har anklaget USA for manglende samarbejde i forbindelse med undersøgelsen.
Wall Street Journal fortæller at:
Afghan soldiers at the U.S. base also told the visiting officials that they heard simultaneous shooting from different locations,
Globalpost.com har lavet noget brugbart research:
"I didn't hear a lot of shooting and I didn't hear helicopters," Habibullah recalled. But he did see "two or three Americans" enter his compound, "using lights and firing at my father, who was wounded."
Massouma, who lives in the neighboring village of Najiban, where 12 people were killed, said she heard helicopters fly overhead as a uniformed soldier entered her home. She said he flashed a "big, white light," and yelled, "Taliban! Taliban! Taliban!"
Massouma said the soldier shouted "walkie-talkie, walkie-talkie." The rules of engagement in hostile areas in Afghanistan permit US soldiers to shoot Afghans holding walkie-talkies because they could be Taliban spotters.
"He had a radio antenna on his shoulder. He had a walkie-talkie himself, and he was speaking into it," she said.
After the soldier with the walkie-talkie killed her husband, she said he lingered in the doorway of her home.
"While he stood there, I secretly looked through the curtains and saw at least 20 Americans, with heavy weapons, searching all the rooms in our compound, as well as my bathroom," she said.
The Australian fortæller at amerikanerne forud for massakren havde truet med drab på civile:
Ghulam Rasool, a tribal elder from Panjwai district, gave an account of the bombing at a March 16 meeting in Kabul with Mr Karzai in the wake of the shootings.
"After the incident, they took the wreckage of their destroyed tank and their wounded people from the area," Mr Rasool said. "After that, they came back to the village nearby the explosion site.
"The soldiers called all the people to come out of their houses and from the mosque," he said.
"The Americans told the villagers 'A bomb exploded on our vehicle. ... We will get revenge for this incident by killing at least 20 of your people,"' Mr Rasool said. "These are the reasons why we say they took their revenge by killing women and children in the villages."
Naek Mohammad, who lives in Mokhoyan, told AP that he was inside his home when he heard an explosion on March 8.
"At first I thought it was an airstrike," Mr Mohammad said.
"After some time I came out and talked with my neighbour. He told me that there was an explosion on NATO forces."
Mr Mohammad said that as the two discussed the incident, two Afghan soldiers approached them and ordered them to join other men from the village who had been told to stand against a wall.
"One of the villagers asked what was happening," he said. "The Afghan army soldier told him 'Shut up and stand there'."
Mr Mohammad said a US soldier, speaking through a translator, then said: "I know you are all involved and you support the insurgents. So now, you will pay for it - you and your children will pay for this'."
Mr Mohammad's neighbour, Bakht Mohammad, and Ahmad Shah Khan, also of Mokhoyan, gave similar accounts.
The US soldiers arrived in the village with their Afghan army counterparts and made many of the male villagers stand against a wall, Mr Khan said.
"It looked like they were going to shoot us, and I was very afraid," said Mr Khan. "Then a NATO soldier said through his translator that even our children will pay for this. Now they have done it and taken their revenge."
Several Afghan officials, including Kandahar lawmaker Abdul Rahim Ayubi, said people in the two villages that were attacked told them the same story.
Danske mainstream-medier har i lighed med amerikanske ignoreret sagen. Mediernes tavshed er pinligt, men der ligger næppe nogen sammensvægelse bag. Der er snarere tale om lige dele dovenskab og inkompetence.
Det er sørgeligt at "den fjerde statsmagt" lader sig forføre af autoritenter i uniform. Militæret er ikke en neutral nyhedsformidler. De vil fortælle den historie der giver mindst skade til deres omdømme, også selv om den er i direkte modstrid med sandheden. For eksempel: Da en gruppe amerikanske soldater poserede foran enhedens SS-logo, påstod militæret således i fuld alvor at ingen i enheden anede at SS-symbolet var et nazistisk symbol. Det illustrerer hvor absurde påstande militæret kan lukke ud. Da jeg skrev om sagen, nævnte jeg at at det problematiske i at »USA fuldt bevidst træner nynazister i våbenbrug, bevæbner dem, og sender dem til lande hvor befolkningen har mørk pigmentering. Det er at invitere til krigsforbrydelser.«
USA's hær har retningslinier der skal frasortere højreekstremister – retningslinier som de bevidst vælger at ignorere. Men de har dem trods alt. I Danmark er det derimod officiel politik at uddanne nazister til våbenbrug. Oberstløjstnant Lennie Fredskov Hansen forklarer dette med at man ikke i hæren vil diskriminere folk grundet deres »politiske tilhørsforhold«